Formats include, but are not limited to:
- individual papers (20 minutes)
- panels (3-4 participants, 90 minutes)
- roundtables (3-5 participants, 90 minutes)
- poster presentations
- alternative formats (workshops, performances, film, media, 30 minutes)
Please send proposal submissions in digital format by January 15, 2014, and include the following:
- a paragraph describing the panel theme and/or title or presentation;
- the format (individual paper, roundtable, panel, performance, etc.);
- name(s) and address and email contact information of presenter(s)
Additional Dates & Information:
Proposal notifications/acceptances will be sent out by February 1, 2014.
The preliminary program will be posted by March 1, 2014.
Pre-egistration will end March 1, 2014 (check the conference website for registration and updates).
Papers accepted for the conference will be considered for publication in the second volume of the Alaska Native Studies Journal, edited by the Alaska Native Studies Conference Program Committee. This journal will present the diversity of Alaska Native Studies research and activism being carried out within and across a range of disciplines.
Awards (please submit a one-page nomination):
Angayuqaq Oscar Kawagley Indigenous Scholar Award: in recognition of articulating the significance of Indigenous knowledge systems, ways of knowing, and world-views in the contemporary world.
Erma Lawrence Alaska Native Language Advocacy Award: in recognition of advocating for the strength and resurgence of Alaska Native languages in our communities, organizations, and homes.
Robert Zuboff Cultural Treasure Award: in recognition of an elderʼs efforts to link the ancestral thought world, stories, and language into education systems and making Alaska Native knowledge an integral part of learning.
Peter Simpson Advocacy & Public Service Award: in recognition of fighting for civil rights, equality, and systems that are governed by and for Alaska Native people in government, education, and the community.
- Lance Twitchell (Tlingit/Haida/Yup’ik), UAS Beth Leonard (Athabascan), UAF
- Ernestine Hayes (Tlingit), UAS Maria Williams (Tlingit), UAA
- Alberta Jones (Alutiiq/Tsimshian), UAS Sharon Lind (Aleut/Unangan), UAA
- April G.L. Counceller (Alutiiq), UAA Kodiak College